Sunday, October 14, 2018

LIBE 477B -Developing your own ICT Skills and Pedagogy

I think this post is much easier to discuss, given the recent research and assignments we have been working on in this course. There is no doubt, that I have spent more time trying to find resources that are relevant and offer something that is practical to use as a new TL. The first thing I came across, when I searched Teacher Librarian Professional Development, was the following blog:

https://confessionsofateacherlibrarian.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/the-priorities-of-a-teacher-librarian/

I was immediately drawn to an image that seems to reflect a lot of the different hats that a TL can wear. Being able to keep up with professional development, and support the staff and students will be very important as we move toward a Learning Commons at Kidston Elementary. After looking at the priorities below, I think the most important thing I can do in my development, is have good communication with a variety of professionals that have the experience and knowledge to share!



As I read further into the blog above, I was taken to another source, where Valenza (2010) identifies several ways that a teacher librarian can actively participate and seek out professional development, including social and professional networking tools, reading supportive literature and blog journals, using online curating devices and listening to industry webcasts. The use of social media is definitely an area that is key to further my professional development.

While I have had a Twitter account for 7 years, I rarely used it as a tool to interact in terms of professional development. However, in the past year, I have made contact with some of my peers that I worked with in the Victoria School District. Most recently I made contact with a colleague that has taken over the Library Learning Commons at my previous school. Having this network, and being able to discuss what is working for him, has already helped me look at some things I would like to try in terms of STEM and Makerspace activities.

One of the first educators that I started following, was George Couros. He presented in the Victoria district a few years back, and I was inspired at his ability to ask questions and make you think differently about a variety of topics. Below I have added his blog and twitter account:




I have also been using Instagram to follow different colleagues. While I haven't yet made contact with anyone in the TL world, I feel this could be a good way to connect, share, and especially to look at how different TL's use their space as a LLC. I think this, along with twitter, will be two great ways to take part in professional development on a daily basis. In the end, as we have been doing for the last month building our resources for our final project, being able to find some "go to" blogs, websites, webcasts, and Twitter/Instagram sources, is key to maintain my future explorations and development as a TL.

With a Billion users, finding a network of TL's should not be difficult! 


The previous examples I have given, all revolve around the online world. But, perhaps the most important network to have, is with fellow TL's in my own district. I am fortunate to work in two schools, and to have a mentor (Hi Heather!) that is in the process of creating a LLC in her own library space. We often have the opportunity to talk and discuss what is working, what we would change, and new ideas that we can share with the staff members at our own school. Having someone that I can text, e-mail, call or collaborate with in person, has been a highly effective form of daily professional development. The next step would be making contact with other TL's in the district, visiting their libraries or LLC's, and creating a local network of colleagues to learn from.

I would like to end this post with a TEDx video I found. Mark Ray discusses the changes that have happened in school libraries, and how budget cuts created a fear about the library programs going forward. He decided to ask a question, that I think is relevant to the idea of professional development as a TL. He says, that instead of asking What are you going to do for school librarians?...we should  ask What can we do for you? (Ray, 2016). This draws from the idea that we have to acknowledge change, and that TL's really do have their finger on the pulse of the whole school. We can acquire tools and knowledge that can be passed on to the teachers and staff throughout our schools. Engaging in professional development in a variety of areas, is key to opening up new learning possibilities for the students we work with.    





Resources:

Couros, G. (2018). Learning Through Instagram. [Blog] The Principal of Change. Available at: https://georgecouros.ca/blog/ [Accessed 15 Oct. 2018].

Couros, G. (2018). George Couros (@gcouros) on Twitter. [online] Twitter.com. Available at: https://twitter.com/gcouros?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor [Accessed 15 Oct. 2018].

Ray, M. (2016). Changing the Conversation About Librarians | Mark Ray | TEDxElCajonSalon. [online] YouTube. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=577&v=IniFUB7worY [Accessed 15 Oct. 2018].

Valenza, J. (2010, December 3). A revised manifesto. In School Library Journal. Retrieved from http://blogs.slj.com/neverendingsearch/2010/12/03/a-revised-manifesto/

White, P. (2013). The Priorities of a Teacher Librarian. [Blog] Confessions of a Teacher Librarian. Available at: https://confessionsofateacherlibrarian.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/the-priorities-of-a-teacher-librarian/ [Accessed 15 Oct. 2018].

2 comments:

  1. While I was doing research I also watched the video "Changing the Conversation" and thought about how this librarian changed the view of libraries from being irrelevant to being something they could not manage without. I think the idea of asking the question "How can I best serve the needs of _________" could be applied to any number of situations and to the many roles we endeavor to fill.

    I also found the poster interesting (though a little difficult to read the small font). It outlines many TL roles, but as I viewed the poster I found myself wishing it would provide some clear insight into which tasks are most important. Which tasks should have the highest priority? I sometimes struggle with how to best allocate my time. I wonder, "What deserves my attention the most?" as many different roles and responsibilities compete for my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done post that suggests many useful strategies, tools, networks, people and connections that all support your growth and professional development as a Teacher-Librarian. Your highlight of the many people that are supporting you, both online and in person showcases that it is very useful to communicate, share and reach out, via many formats and tools. You've done a great job summarizing the shift in the role and how we can all support each other in supporting our school communities. Great finds with the video and infographic.

    ReplyDelete

LLED 462: Final Summation Response

Well, w e made it, the end of another journey and for me the conclusion of my learning in the UBC Diploma of Teacher-Librarianship program. ...