Sunday, October 7, 2018

LIBE 477B - Fostering Reading Cultures in Schools

This is an interesting topic for me right now, as this was a discussion I had with the library clerk at our school just a couple weeks ago. She has been at the school for eight years, and has a wealth of knowledge about the resources, and inner workings of the library space at Kidston School. We are looking at ways that we can increase our engagement in reading, and really draw students to the library space. As we start the transition to a LLC, technology will definitely be an area we would like to incorporate more, especially for some of our struggling readers. For now, however, we are starting small, and trying to implement a couple ideas that will in fact foster the reading culture Kidston Elementary.


Junior Non-Fiction

The first area we wanted to address, was the lack of non-fiction resources we had for our primary students. Last year, when I covered a maternity leave, in the same library, I noticed our younger students were often asking for books about non-fiction topics, such as animals, trucks, and machines. We just didn't have the easy reader books and resources to offer, as most of the non-fiction in those topic areas are geared towards our intermediate population. Below, I've shared a video, that discusses the importance of non-fiction as well as fiction books, and perhaps the comment that hit me the most, was the idea that we sometimes assume that young children "can't handle" information (Sasson, 2018).  The fact that they can, and often want to have access to information, is really what took our library in this direction. 




We decided to do some searching, for resources we could add to our new "Junior Non-Fiction" section. Also, instead of hiding these books in and amongst the vast amount of non-fiction on the shelves, we put these books in bins, so the students have easy access. The response has been incredible, and now we often see our primary population taking one fiction, and one non-fiction book during our circulation blocks. Below are some of the most popular resources we have already added, and we are currently looking for more!

The "Machines and Vehicles" bin is a big hit!
Animals are always popular with our primary students!
                               












I have found, that searching "primary non-fiction" often leads to sites like the one below. With a quick glance, it is easy to get new ideas for titles that may be of interest to our younger students, and also the intermediate students that need easy reader resources.



https://sawyerfreelibrary.org/2018/07/06/july-2018-new-childrens-nonfiction/


The article below, about the importance of non-fiction texts, discusses the importance of having good, quality resources that students can use from a young age. At Kidston, we have definitely seen an increase in interest and engagement in non-fiction reading, by our primary population. 

http://teaching.monster.com/benefits/articles/8581-why-non-fiction-is-important-to-reading-and-learning

I think moving forward, one area I would like to improve on, is finding resources that have an 'older' look, so our senior students feel comfortable checking them out, even though the text is geared towards easy reading.


Favourite Book of the Month



The next area, that I'm just starting to think about, is creating a way for students to share their favourite books. While initially I was thinking of a simple book report, geared toward each grade level, that could be posted on the bulletin boards outside of the library, I am now thinking about ways to incorporate technology as well. The website below has inspired me to find different ways for students to share what they've read, and likely more engaging for other students to read or watch!

http://teachingandtechnologyideas.weebly.com/alternative-book-report-ideas.html

Over the next few months, we would like to offer to our students both a written, and technology based option to create "book talks." These could be simple summaries or opinions that would allow the students to share their favourite books with the rest of the school. Hopefully this will create a culture of students engaging in their reading, and getting excited about sharing with their peers.




Resources:

Keyworth, N. (2018). Alternative Book Report Ideas. [online] Teaching and Technology Ideas. Available at: http://teachingandtechnologyideas.weebly.com/alternative-book-report-ideas.html [Accessed 6 Oct. 2018].

Gloucester Lyceum & Sawyer Free Library. (2018). July 2018 : New Children’s Nonfiction. [online] Available at: https://sawyerfreelibrary.org/2018/07/06/july-2018-new-childrens-nonfiction/ [Accessed 6 Oct. 2018].

Sasson, D. (2018). Why Non-Fiction Is Important To Reading and Learning. [online] Teaching. Available at: http://teaching.monster.com/benefits/articles/8581-why-non-fiction-is-important-to-reading-and-learning [Accessed 7 Oct. 2018].

YouTube. (2018). Non-fiction books for kids -- TVOParents Book Club. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9PKv-9SOw0 [Accessed 6 Oct. 2018].



7 comments:

  1. Hey Darryl! I just went and checked out that link to some alternative book report ideas. What a great idea for student engagement and to help promote library reading material. Using imovie to make a book trailer would be so neat for kids to do. Because I have mainly primary teaching experience my brain immediately starts thinking about how I can modify ideas to use with younger children. With younger kids we could make a book trailer together based on our favorite read aloud from that month (or something along those lines). That book trailer could then be shared with other classes to play and encourage them to try out that book. Lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am liking the idea to do a facelift with non fiction to get readers inspired with some new scrumptious books. I am way better at weeding my fiction area as I know what goes out and what doesn't. Non fiction doesn't move off the shelves as much so something to try for sure!

    Not along your non fiction book theme, but for fiction books for older students with a big kid look, have you tried ORCA books? They are high interest, low vocab. A nice looking chapter book, but an easy read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had a conversation with our SBRT today about ORCA books! We are looking at bringing in a bunch to have available for the older students in the school. I'm looking forward to seeing what they are like.

      Delete
    2. The vice-principal at our school has been talking about ORCA books too! She is hoping we can order some for our English department to support more of our reluctant readers.

      Delete
  3. Excellent post with some really solid strategies and ideas for supporting your entire school community with appropriate resources, engaging titles (Monster Trucks?!?) and useful materials for learning and research. Your blog connected a lot of valuable links, videos and examples that help you and your readers. This was a great post exploring the exciting things starting at your school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post has me thinking about the role of non-fiction in a high school library. Our administration has directed us not to invest money in our non-fiction collection, yet I think many of our students would enjoy reading non-fiction books. I will have to advocate more for this part of our collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of Favourite Book of the Month as a way to promote literature and using imovie can really allow for a diversity of creativity - when I was teaching older children some used imovie to film their "interviews" with the "authors" (which was really the children dressed up, of course); others interviewed characters from the book and they loved dressing up, finding wigs etc. (these were grade 8 students). A fun idea for Hallowe'en is to have the students decorate a pumpkin based on their favourite literary character - or they could base it on a character in their favourite book of the month, and these can be displayed in the library. Good luck with adding new material to your library. We also love ORCA books at my school and they have a really good fiction series in French that my hockey players love!

    ReplyDelete

LLED 462: Final Summation Response

Well, w e made it, the end of another journey and for me the conclusion of my learning in the UBC Diploma of Teacher-Librarianship program. ...