Monday, October 1, 2018

LIBE 477B: Part C - Research Synopsis

The topic I have decided to explore, is the creation of a Library Learning Commons. In searching for different resources surrounding this topic, I found there was actually an abundance of information, and I really needed to narrow it down to those that would support me from a "starting" position, as to not get too overwhelmed. Being able to see the process clearly in front of me and understand the positive impact this type of learning environment can have on a school community, but also the hurdles involved in getting there, were both important in my search. I feel that after I narrowed my my search, I was able to see that my "vision" is one that will take time to implement, but each stage should create another new learning opportunity for the students in our school.

I did also find that there was a connection between my search resources about building a LLC, and that of inquiry based learning. Hopefully as I explore further, and look towards my vision of a LLC, I can also learn more about the process of inquiry based learning.

Below are some of the resources I found, that I would like to use and explore further.



Leading Learning

This was the very first website that I found, when I entered a search for Library Learning Commons. I was instantly drawn, as I found it was easy to navigate, and it offered a vast amount of information. The thing I took away most, was the five-step process (Exploring -> Emerging -> Evolving -> Established -> Leading), which seems to fit well with my own five year vision in my current library position. 

Under the Standards of Practice tab, each section is broken down into this five-step process. While I found it a little daunting at first, after reading through, I quickly realized I could again start simple, and working my way towards the bigger ideas.

Below is a link to a sample of the growth chart for Learning Environments, and how to foster a participatory learning environment. Having these charts to follow, and to show staff in terms of the vision, could help the community understand the overall vision of a LLC.

http://llsop.canadianschoollibraries.ca/learning-environments/





Canadian School Libraries

This is a website that covers a variety of topic and areas to do with Canadian libraries, I was particularly drawn to a collection of videos that both answered many of the questions that arise when making the transition, as well as offering a tour of a variety of different LLC already in action. Being able to see first hand the physical space, and listen to current educators talk about the programs and benefits that students get from such an environment, is not only motivating, but aids in the vision of what the space I'm working with could look like.

The video below also takes into account, the need to teach and discuss digital citizenship. Moving towards the use of technology and helping students be their "authentic selves" online. This is one hurdle with some staff members, that are not as comfortable with technology themselves, and often worried about teaching their students to use these tools and become positive digital citizens. 





Moving from Vision to Reality: The Library Learning Commons


This resource speaks for itself. The idea of moving from my current state, which is having a vision, to the reality of creating of LLC. At first, I was drawn to the discussion of the physical space, but after further reading, I was most drawn to the idea of collaboration. As a teacher/librarian or Library Media Specialist, whatever label you prefer, you must be able to collaborate with all of your colleagues, to create a true LLC environment.



I see this as one of my first steps in the process, connecting with my colleagues, and getting them just as excited as I am about making the change. Some staff members will no doubt be reluctant at first, as they view the library as a place that should be occupied in the traditional sense. But, through collaboration, and support, hopefully they will see the benefit for both the students, and the educators. 


Library Learning Commons: Benefits, Challenges, and Characteristics

This is a YouTube video, based on a research study with a focus on building a LLC. This video cites a variety of different resources, and clearly outlines both the benefits, and the challenges faced with the vision of a LLC. Perhaps my favourite quote and takeaway that I got from the video was:



This just further solidifies for me, that the idea of a LLC, is the foundation for inquiry based learning, and collaboration between students, peers, and the teaching community at the school. 


Blog: Turning Libraries Into Learning Commons


This was a last minute addition for me, mainly because I liked the idea that the teacher/librarian brought the LLC idea to the teaching community at her school. Making the environment as user friendly as possible, and having your finger on the pulse of lessons and activities happening in the school can go a long way in promoting the LLC. While I wouldn't implement all of the suggestions below, I do feel that it emphasizes the need to support the staff, and bring them along for the ride as the vision is created!




References

Anderson, S. (2017). [Blog] Turning Libraries into Learning Commons. Available at: https://www.teachervision.com/blog/morning-announcements/turning-libraries-into-learning-commons# [Accessed 30 Sep. 2018].

BC Teacher-Librarians' Association. (2018). Learning Commons. [online] Available at: https://bctla.ca/resources/library-learning-commons/ [Accessed 30 Sep. 2018].

Canadianschoollibraries.ca. (2018). Learning Commons in Action – Canadian School Libraries. [online] Available at: http://www.canadianschoollibraries.ca/learning-commons-in-action/ [Accessed 30 Sep. 2018].

Llsop.canadianschoollibraries.ca. (2018). Leading Learning – Standards of Practice for School Library Learning Commons in Canada. [online] Available at: http://llsop.canadianschoollibraries.ca/ [Accessed 30 Sep. 2018].

Masrour, C. (2014). Library Learning Commons: Benefits, Challenges, and Characteristics. [online] YouTube. Available at: https://youtu.be/tYvoF9m2soU [Accessed 30 Sep. 2018].

Moving from vision to reality: The library learning commons. (2015, 10). Teacher Librarian, 43, 52-56. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/login?url=https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.library.ubc.ca/docview/1721911322?accountid=14656

1 comment:

  1. Well done final blog post for the Reading Review. Your introduction to your quest, your early results, change in strategy, extensive and relevant finds and useful and extensive Works Cited all make this a valuable exercise for you and your school community. You've done a good job reflecting on your new learning, realistic expectations and future goals. Well done assignment.

    ReplyDelete

LLED 462: Final Summation Response

Well, w e made it, the end of another journey and for me the conclusion of my learning in the UBC Diploma of Teacher-Librarianship program. ...