I think the most interesting of topics for me in this section, was that of the Deep/Dark Web. For me, I hadn't realized the possibility of using this portion of the web for positive learning, and had always thought of it as a place we wanted to keep our kids away from. In fact, I would have thought that the Deep and Dark Web would have been one in the same. The image of the hooded person, would capture my previous belief about what this part of the web represents. A hidden database, filled with inappropriate information and knowledge we wouldn't necessarily use as a learning tool.
However, after exploring the lesson, and looking deeper into this topic, I feel the image of the iceberg, now represents a better image of my thinking. The fact that an estimated 96% of the content on the web is found below the surface, was both overwhelming and awesome at the same time. In my discussion posts, I mentioned that I wasn't exactly comfortable exploring this part of the web with my students. However, after thought, reflection, and discussing this with my colleagues, I feel this may be an area where I need to step out of my comfort zone a bit, and try something new. I would definitely be approaching this topic with my 6/7 classes, and feel that it would be an appropriate age to start having the discussion. Just recently, we had our school liaison officer in to talk to our grade 7 students about healthy relationships, as they venture into high school. The discussion and questions asked were deep, and often related to topics that could be seen as uncomfortable, but also very important to talk about. I was proud of our students, as they took the topic seriously, and were asking genuine questions. It made me think about the deep/dark web, and the idea that they can handle (within reason) such topics, and in fact, it is important to have those discussions. I do plan to engage with my students in the third term, in regards to this part of the web, and will likely do so by introducing the graphic of the iceberg. Based on some of the discussion we've had in this course, about giving our students access to a wide range of resources when completing research, it would be interesting for them to see that we can go much further than just Google, Wikipedia, Yahoo, and the day to day information we get form the Surface Web. Obviously consideration has to be given to internet safety, but starting the discussion is the first step. The video below, outlines the idea that we actually should be accessing the deep web, in order to gain access to much of the content and knowledge available. While this is geared towards the idea of using this database at a college level, I am starting to see the importance of educating students before this point in their life, so they can learn to use the deep web safely, and as a tool for learning!I think a second area that really hit home with me in this section, was the discussion I had with my students in regards to Wikipedia and the use of encyclopedias. It was a completely foreign idea to the students in my 5/6 split class, that when I was a student their age, I would have to go to the library, and just hope that the "Letter E" encyclopedia was available if I wanted to research elephants. I was amazed that one of the first things they said was "but what if the information changes..." This brought me back to Riedlings statement that "An obvious advantage of Web-based dictionaries is rapid updates." (pg. 63).
After reading the article Wikipedia and Britannica: The Kid's All Right (And So's the Old Man), it again made me think again about the discussions I had with my students. There was a divide in the class, as to whether or not Wikipedia was a reliable resource for completing a research project. It was evident that most of the class had used information from Wikipedia in some form, and it was noted this was because it was often the "...easiest and first source that popped up when using Google or other search engines."
When it came down to the end of the discussion, it was evident that everyone in the class felt that to be accurate and reliable, that we must find our information from more than one resource. As was stated, in Berinstein's article "Librarians and information professionals have always known this. That’s why we always consult multiple sources and counsel our users to do the same. If we adhere to that practice, what are we worrying about?"
The idea that Wikipedia is one source of information, but we must be willing to look beyond the "first and easy" choice, to verify and find other sources to back up our research. This was very good lesson for the class, as we then went on to find and learn about all the places we could research an animal for their project. In the end, seeing the students use both print and online resources, and access a wide range of databases on the web, was a win, for both student and teacher!
This took me back to the article Can we Make Peace with Wikipedia, where Harris (2007) sums up the use of encyclopedias and Wikipedia in a simple but effective way, and to a degree, the same conclusion that my class arrived at:
- At least three sources are required to verify research.
- General encyclopedias like Wikipedia are a great place to get started, however …
- Serious research projects cannot cite general knowledge encyclopedias
In summary, we should be using these tools as a way to teach our students to think critically, evaluate information they find on the internet, and learn to use and site sources that are credible and reliable in their information.
All in all, I think this past section has made me take a deeper look into the reference resources we currently have at Kidston Elementary, and where we want to go in terms of weeding the old and adding the new to our collection. Having to look at each of the sections, and look at the tools for evaluating and selecting new materials, will be a valuable asset going forward. While I would often look at how current a resource was or if it looked appealing to our audience, I now see that there are many more factors that we need to consider to determine if a resource fits the needs of our students and teachers. I never thought I would be completing an assignment by sitting down and evaluating a set of atlases! But, in the end, it sparked a debate amongst my colleagues in terms of funding, relevance, and needs within our school.
That brings me to my final point for this reflection post, which is the need to collaborate and consult with your teaching staff, administration, and students, to find out what the current needs and wants are in your school. As Riedling (2013) states in the quest for selecting reference materials "...items must be based on the needs of the school, students, and community" (p. 52). Working as a team, to provide the best resources, at the best cost, and to hopefully service the widest audience, is something I see as being important in the school community!
A fun video, that sums up the many ways we can find the answers to our questions...enjoy!
References
Berinstein, P. (2006). Wikipedia and Britannica: The Kid's All Right (And So's the Old Man) Searcher 14(3), 16-26.
Dark Web News. (2019). Deep and Dark Web [Image]. Retrieved from https://darkwebnews.com/help-advice/access-dark-web/
Harris, C. (2007). Can we make peace with Wikipedia? School Library Journal, 53(6), 26.
PfauLibrary. (2015). Why the Deep Web? And Why the Library? [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=Fyln1cBJmdEWhy
Nohe, P. (2017). The Dark Web [Image]. Retrieved from https://www.thesslstore.com/blog/what-is-the-dark-web/
Sextro, L. (2010). "Where Do We Find Answers?" Elementary Reference Lesson [Video]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a0PsZykg8Y
Slater, C. (2018). Wikipedia VS Britannica [Image]. Retrieved from https://www.smallteaser.com/@camille_slater/wikipedia-vs-britannica-encyclopedia
Well done reflection. A good overview of your new learnings, key understanding and growing awareness of your role, the different resources, formats and needs in our school community. You did a good job personalizing your learning and reflecting on how this new knowledge can be put to use in your current role and school. A useful and valuable look back at your experiences in theme 3.
ReplyDeleteDarryl I loved reading about your class discussion about wikipedia! You always have such great real life examples to share. What a great conclusion for the class to come to that wikipedia might be okay but they should always find their information from more than one resource.
ReplyDeleteYou make a great point about collaborating with staff to make effective change. The best ideas for my final assignment came from the chats I had in the staffroom.
WOW!! It was a pleasure reading about the various discussions you had with your students. Reading your reflection made me think about how sometimes we need to believe more in our students and what they are truly capable of discussing and learning. They are growing up in a very different time than us and exposed to so much more.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right about the importance of collaborating. Spending the time collaborating helps support everyone in the building.
BTW - I love the Encyclopedia and Wikipedia image.
Darryl, what a great post offering a review of so much of the last section of this course. I really appreciated the video clip you included on the deep web and will use it for staff and students. It's a better quick explanation than many other resources I've seen or read.
ReplyDeleteIt's also so reassuring to see you having these types of discussions with elementary classes, and reassuring to see them already gaining such a good understanding of the basics of research. Great job!