Thursday, July 9, 2020

EDCP 420 Conclusion: Capstone Presentation


Capstone Presentation: A Celebration of Learning




The artifacts I have included below, all played a huge role in my learning and growth throughout this course. I will speak to each of them and hopefully as I do, you will see the connection to our four driving questions: 

  1. Where have I come from? Who am I as a developing professional? 
  
  1. What are my educational commitments (e.g. pedagogy, curriculum and philosophy)?

  1. What have I learned from engaging in this course? How has what you have CREATED in your modules connected to the overall course outcomes? Why did you choose these artifacts? What was so significant about these artifacts? What was your wellness plan and how has this impacted your personal well being? 

  1. How will I continue to grow professionally?



1. Self Assessment/Reflection Rubric

  • Relate learning from the course modules to explain how their knowledge of using physical activity as a support for student and their own mental well-being has been influenced

Smart Goals:

Physical Goal: I will take 30 minutes to engage in some form of physical activity each day, as well as an hour, 3 times a week to workout with weights at the gym.

Environmental Goal: I will spend at least 30 minutes outdoors on a daily basis, rain or shine. 

Self-Assessment 1-Point Rubric (For SMART Goals)


Constructive Feedback

PROFICIENT

Feedback on Strengths

Identify an area of wellness (other than physical) that is important to you.

 

Add more specific information on how this will increase your overall wellness. An example of the benefits would help.

Identified one important dimension of wellness, not related to physical activity. Briefly explained how it supports overall wellness and how they are currently doing with this dimension of wellness.

Able to connect to lack of social interaction during Covid, recent barriers to social opportunities and importance of connection to family and friends.

Identify and area of wellness that could use some attention.

How else would this dimension of wellness support mental well-being? Are there any other benefits to a change of environment?

Described one dimension of wellness that could use some attention and would support mental well-being. Briefly described how giving this dimension of wellness attention would be of personal benefit.

Related the importance of changing environments for maintaining positive relationships and a healthy mind. Aware of too much screen time and the need to connect with the outdoors.

Establish a physical wellness goal.

What will you change if the gym needs to close down again? How will you address this need?

Established a physical wellness goal that follows all 5 of the SMART Goal areas (Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-Based)

Goal 1: I will take 30 minutes to engage in some form of physical activity each day, as well as an hour, 3 times a week, to workout with weights at the gym.

Establish a second wellness goal in an area of   your choice.

What activities will you do if it is raining? Do you have a back-up plan?

Established a second wellness goal that follows all 5 of the SMART Goal areas (Specific, Measureable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-Based)

Goal 2: I will spend at least 30 minutes outdoors on a daily basis, rain or shin





Holistic Model Self-Reflection & Action Plan

  • Relate learning from the course modules to explain how to increase Indigenous ways of knowing and being in relation to physical activity, health and well-being
Learning involves patience and time.




CSH Activity Tool

  • Relate learning from the course modules to explain ways of increasing the number of minutes during the school day to incorporate physical activity



Quality Instant Activity

  • Relate learning from the course modules to explain how their level of confidence and competence has been influenced to deliver the PHE curriculum

The activity covers the 4 key components of an IA:

1. Starts quickly!
2. Fun!
3. Developed for full inclusion!
4. Gradually increases in speed/intensity!

Instant Activity: Fundamental Movement Skills/Strategies


Animal Movements


Description: 

  • Set up: have students enter a coned area outside or in the gym.
  • Use ‘when before what language’ (e.g., “When I say go, everyone move around the open area like a turtle walking on a log”) 
  • Create at least 10 more animal movements (see example below) 
  • During the activity point out some examples where students use their imagination and move like the various animals.

Movements:

  • Turtle walking on a log

  • Snake slithering in the grass

  • Duck waddling down the beach

  • Crab scurrying to the ocean water

  • Bear wandering the forest

  • Frog hopping down the road

  • Kangaroo jumping in a field

  • Deer escaping a predator

  • Hummingbird looking for food

  • Cheetah chasing its prey



I focused on a single BIG IDEA as a way to link to all of the curricular competencies. I often choose to work backwards from the elaborations/content and focus on what curricular competencies can be addressed. I took a focus on daily participation in physical activity, of which I believe all the elaborations, content, and curricular competencies in the flow chart could be covered in terms of health and fitness goals.




PL/FMS Self-Reflection

  • Relate learning from the course modules to identify and explain ways to support students in their physical literacy journey

1. Describe the relationship between PL and PE

Based on the videos we watched today,  I would describe PL as the physical competence, confidence,  and motivation to be active in life. Physical activity and FMS as part of our PHE program, should foster PL and give students the opportunity to be confident in as many environments and with as many FMS as possible...it should also be fun! The unit (lessons) from PlayBuilder focus on to FMS (running and balancing) which are key in many, if not most, physical activities. 

2. What is Physical Literacy and Why Does it Matter? (article above) 

I think after watching the videos this morning, the part I connected to the most (and with this article), is that we can't leave out parts of our development of PL. As in reading, we wouldn't say "Here's the alphabet, now go read" ...this would be seen as a crazy thing to say to a student. However, we often do this in PHE because it is easy to get comfortable with familiar activities or perhaps we "don't know" how to develop a skill properly. Perhaps the most important part of the article is the statement:

"Research shows that without the development of physical literacy, many young people withdraw from physical activity and sport. They’re unable to make positive choices about their health, turning to more inactive and unhealthy choices during their leisure time." 

PL literacy matters, because we need to make sure that our students have the tools and the confidence to engage in a variety of healthy activity, so the don't become inactive or lack the motivation. 

3. What characteristics or strategies foster PL? 

I think that everything we've touched on in this course up to this point, would help foster PL. Making sure we have a QPE plan, having an equitable, diverse, and  inclusive environment, with adaptations and tasks that foster growth and development of FMS. Incorporating the holistic approach and focusing on wellness and overall well-being as part of our CSH plan allows us to focus on the whole individual. I think all of the above fits well with EDUCATE (Enjoyment, Diverse, Understanding, Character, Ability, Totality, Imagination, Ongoing, Nurturing), all of which are characteristics that will help foster PL. 

4. How has your unit or adapted lesson connected to QPE in the previous module?

My adapted plan was changed to include an IA that would maximize time in terms of a warm-up and be safe during Covid. This plan includes 4 cues (Eyes forward, upright posture, arms out to side, hold still) that could each be taught with a quality demonstration. All of the activities have the students moving, there are no elimination games or any activities that wouldn't have the students engaged at all times (except the Simon Says activity, which I would adapt like the rock, paper, scissors game we played today). Overall, the lesson addresses all parts of QPE, while teaching some FMS to help develop PL.


Environmental Scan of embedding EDI initiatives and    practices into PHE (SWOT)

  • Relate learning from the course modules to identify and explain ways to embed EDI practices within a PHE learning environment 

Link:School District 22 (Vernon): Strategic Plan and Mission Statement


Strengths

Trust and Respect: We build trust throughout our school district and show respect toward all persons and the environment.

 

·       At Kidston Elementary, we use “Kidston Kindness” which revolves around kind words and kind actions.

 

VISION 2022: To create a safe, healthy and respectful learning community that enables each student to build a bright future.

 

·       Safe, healthy, and respectful are key words in creating EDI.

Weaknesses


·         As the current librarian, one area of weaknesses we recently noted was the inclusion of SOGI resources in the general collection of books. Currently we have a “section” which was originally thought of as a “good” thing. Going forward, we want to introduce these resources as part of our entire collection.

 

·         Lack of language around “diversity and inclusion”…While there is a large focus on respect and safety, little is mentioned about our diverse population of students. Perhaps it is implied that this is included in such statements.

Opportunities

Co-ordinate and strengthen social and community supports for students and their families.

 

·         An opportunity that comes to mind that revolves around team sports. Our SOGI representative at Kidston has brought forward the discussion about “boys and girls” teams. What happens for a student that does not fit these descriptions?

 

MISSION: To inspire and develop lifelong learners who can communicate, think creatively, problem-solve, collaborate, and understand their personal and social responsibilities.

I think there is room to include a statement about diversity and inclusion in the Mission statement.

Threats


·         I originally put this in the weaknesses category, but changed my mind. We currently still have the “Boys and Girls” signs on the washrooms. This is to be changed in the upcoming year (hopefully). We have had students in recent years that were not comfortable with this.

 

·         This is one that recently caught my attention as I was weeding the non-fiction section in our library. I found the books included in the image on found below. While the intent of the books appeared to be humorous, I would say they are a threat in terms of the perception and stereotypes they create. I was shocked to find they were only 10 years old!
































































Presentation Notes and Key Points



No comments:

Post a Comment

LLED 462: Final Summation Response

Well, w e made it, the end of another journey and for me the conclusion of my learning in the UBC Diploma of Teacher-Librarianship program. ...