Thursday, July 9, 2020

EDCP 420 Module 7: PL/FMS

1. Module Checklist #7

 Physical Literacy & Fundamental Movement Skills

 

YES

NO

MODULE SECTION: CREATE

Completed all required tasks in this section

 X

 

Missing artifact(s):

 

 

MODULE SECTION: ADAPT

Completed all required tasks in this section

 X

 

Missing artifact(s):

 

 

MODULE SECTION: ASSESS

Completed all required tasks in this section

 X

 

Missing artifact(s):

 

 

MODULE SECTION: SHARE AND REFLECT

Completed all required tasks in this section

 X

 

Missing artifact(s):

 

 

MODULE SECTION: PORTFOLIO

Uploaded all required documents/artifacts to the portfolio

 X

 

Missing artifact(s):

 

 

Have you identified what you CREATED (artifacts) in this module connects to the module objectives?

 

 X

 

Have you identified what you CREATED (artifacts) in this module connects to the course objectives?

 

 X

 

How are your CREATED artifacts in this module connected to the previous modules and module objectives and overall course objectives?

 

Take time to make these connections.  

Reflection:

 Today I had an "AHA" moment, connecting PL to PHE and how they are both interconnected and different at the same time. 

The idea that we need to look at the development of FMS as a way to give students the skills to be motivated and confident in PHE is very powerful. I'm not sure I will ever look at a PHE lesson as I did before this course.

I would be guilty in the past of sometimes doing things in PHE because it is easy and familiar, but with the tools we have learned to create a QPE, I can see my approach to PL changing in the future!


2. 5 Interconnected Lessons: Playbuilder

Click on each of the links below, to open the 5 lessons on Running and Balance I added to my "Playlist" in PlayBuilder:







3. COVID-19 Adapt a Lesson Response

My PlayBuilder unit focused on Running & Balance at the Grade 7 level. In Lesson 4 above, there were two parts in need of some adjustment, based on the current Covid-19 Guidelines. 

The first is the warm-up activity. This is a "Grab the Tail" from a student before they get to the other end activity. This involves physical contact as well as equipment. I would instead, do one of the instant activity warm-ups that we discussed yesterday, with both some running and balancing elements included. This allows for less equipment and for students to engage in their own personal space. 

The second area I would look at is an obstacle course made up with the following suggestions in the gym:
    • Set up an obstacle course with several raised objects (e.g. benches, beanbags, foam frisbees, foam blocks, etc.)
Based on the Covid-19 Guidelines, I decided to focus on:
    • Space: Where can PE be taught? If the gymnasium is unavailable for PE, what types of activities can be taught?
This is the perfect opportunity for the class to get outside and connect with nature. Building a circuit using the school grounds apparatus and perhaps some introduced objects (picnic tables, playground, milk crates, etc.) would allow for more personal space, while engaging in the same activity provided. This could also be a time to go on a hike (we have Kal Park right down the road) and engage in creating an obstacle course in a local park.

I didn't include this in the post about COVID, but I did notice Bench Ball was part of the culminating activity in Lesson 6. Based on some of the discussions we've had in previous modules, I would likely change this out as it has peers as targets (dodgeball related). 


4. Teacher Self-Reflection

1. Describe the relationship between PL and PE

Based on the videos we watched today,  I would describe PL as the physical competence, confidence,  and motivation to be active in life. Physical activity and FMS as part of our PHE program, should foster PL and give students the opportunity to be confident in as many environments and with as many FMS as possible...it should also be fun! The unit (lessons) from PlayBuilder focus on to FMS (running and balancing) which are key in many, if not most, physical activities. 

2. What is Physical Literacy and Why Does it Matter? (article above) 

I think after watching the videos this morning, the part I connected to the most (and with this article), is that we can't leave out parts of our development of PL. As in reading, we wouldn't say "Here's the alphabet, now go read" ...this would be seen as a crazy thing to say to a student. However, we often do this in PHE because it is easy to get comfortable with familiar activities or perhaps we "don't know" how to develop a skill properly. Perhaps the most important part of the article is the statement:

"Research shows that without the development of physical literacy, many young people withdraw from physical activity and sport. They’re unable to make positive choices about their health, turning to more inactive and unhealthy choices during their leisure time." 

PL literacy matters, because we need to make sure that our students have the tools and the confidence to engage in a variety of healthy activity, so the don't become inactive or lack the motivation. 

3. What characteristics or strategies foster PL? 

I think that everything we've touched on in this course up to this point, would help foster PL. making sure we have a QPE plan, having an equitable, diverse, and  inclusive environment, with adaptations and tasks that foster growth and development of FMS. Incorporating the holistic approach and focusing on wellness and overall well-being as part of our CSH plan allows us to focus on the whole individual. I think all of the above fits well with EDUCATE ((Enjoyment, Diverse, Understanding, Character, Ability, Totality, Imagination, Ongoing, Nurturing), all of which are characteristics that will help foster PL. 

4. How has your unit or adapted lesson connected to QPE in the previous module?

My adapted plan was changed to include an IA that would maximize time in terms of a warm-up and be safe during Covid. This plan includes 4 cues (Eyes forward, upright posture, arms out to side, hold still) that could each be taught with a quality demonstration. All of the activities have the students moving, there are no elimination games or any activities that wouldn't have the students engaged at all times (except the Simon Says activity, which I would adapt like the rock, paper, scissors game we played today). Overall, the lesson addresses all parts of QPE, while teaching some FMS to help develop PL.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

LLED 462: Final Summation Response

Well, w e made it, the end of another journey and for me the conclusion of my learning in the UBC Diploma of Teacher-Librarianship program. ...