Monday, November 12, 2018

LIBE 477B: The Final Countdown!

Well, I tried to spice up the name of my post this week...and I included music!



I can't believe we are actually heading into the final leg of the course. This has definitely been an interesting journey, and I've been making changes to our library at Kidston, as I look towards the transition to a learning commons.

For my Final Vision Project, I have decided to focus mainly on a plan (of the 5 year variety), to move the Kidston library to a space that functions as a LLC. As I looked back to the very first post I made, when creating this blog, I am amazed at the changes we've already made! The picture below, is the library that I first walked into, to start my path as a TL. I remember thinking that it looked very "traditional" and even a little boring. It really reminded me of a place, where the librarian says "Shhhh" and the students are expected to be silent and read. At the time I was overwhelmed, as I had no idea how to operate a library. Now, I am excited to implement change, and make the space more inviting and functional for student learning.


There was lots of work to be done...

For my final project, I would actually like to focus on two areas. The first has been on my radar since the start of the course, and the second piece of the puzzle is something that I just started thinking about last week. 

The first area of focus is the physical plant of the Kidston library, and what is needed to work towards a LLC. My plan is to video the changes I've already made, and show those I would like to make going forward. I realized quickly, that I need to make some changes to the space, to create the environment needed for the students to take advantage of a LLC.  Going back to an image from an earlier post, I feel that throughout this course I have been in the "Exploring" phase. With the support of the staff, we are slowly moving on to the "Emerging" phase. Through discussions at staff and curriculum meetings, my colleagues are on board, and excited to see the changes to come. The next step is to attend a PAC meeting, and show them the vision as well. I intend on creating a video that I can use both for this course, and to show our parent community, so I may advocate for funding to help in the transition. 



There is a need for new technology, furniture, shelving, and hopefully some resources and supplies for a STEM and Makerspace area. Hopefully with the support of the admin, and PAC, we can create a 5 year plan that is realistic in terms of our needs. I look forward to sharing the changes we've already made over the course of the next few weeks. 

New furniture will be key to creating an inviting space!



The second area that I would like to focus on, mirrors that of Heather's post. I would like to create a fun and user friendly website that our students, staff, and parents can use to access information about the library. As it sits right now, the only website we have is one that gives access to L4U, so students can search for books and use some of our online resources for research. My vision is a website that has sections for recommended reads, popular series, new books to the library, and a student's choice area. While I won't go overboard to start, just a simple, one page website with a little more appeal would go a long way to advocate further for our library. Once we have the LLC in full swing, I would then add a section that shows some of the lessons and activities we have going on with our students. The eventual goal, as Heather notes in her blog, would be to "....create a library learning commons homepage with links to resources, videos, and my own professional blog as a way to share out the technology and resources our school has available, taking into account the varied abilities and experience levels to accommodate all within my learning community." (Acob, 2018). I am lucky that I work with Heather, and hopefully I will be able to follow her lead, and eventually create a site that becomes part of the culture of our LLC at Kidston. 

Good luck to everyone with the last few weeks of the course, and all of your final projects!


Resources: 


Acob, H. (2018). Future Vision – A Functional Library Homepage. [Blog] LIBE 477. Available at: https://bocalibe477.blogspot.com/2018/11/future-vision-functional-library.html [Accessed 13 Nov. 2018].


Europe (2009). The Final Countdown. [video] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw [Accessed 13 Nov. 2018].


Llsop.canadianschoollibraries.ca. (2018). Leading Learning – Standards of Practice for School Library Learning Commons in Canada. [online] Available at: http://llsop.canadianschoollibraries.ca/ [Accessed 13 Nov. 2018].


West Bay Elementary (2018). West Bay Learning Commons. [image] Available at: http://westbayelc.weebly.com/ [Accessed 13 Nov. 2018].

7 comments:

  1. Well done brainstorm that also takes stock of how far you've come along already. Two very worthwhile final project ideas that will also go a long way to improving your space and program. I think you should do both projects, but only one has to be done for our class. Your 5 year plan will help you set goals and directions and even gather support and resources to help renovate and purchase new furniture and resources, the other, your website will extend your reach, support more access and help communicate new changes and developments in your space and program. Great brainstorm and hope to see you and Heather collaborate on some stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darryl! We've got this! That I used to work at your school and know the layout and clientele will help. Plus that we are neighbouring schools means we can totally get your school transitioning and finish mine up together! You are all over the technology piece so I will happily take some feedback from you on my library website, as that is my next-few-weeks-vision project. Then it will be super easy to build your website! As for furniture...I am in need of shopping, too. I asked at our public library where they got their cool user friendly furniture from: http://www.feek.nl/ or http://www.keebee.com/play-products or Big Cozy Books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Darryl, these are two great ideas that will really benefit your students and the community. I know it's going to be a lot of work but, it will be worth it. If you're thinking about furniture, I recently visited a secondary school library and I liked that the TL bought a segmented couch which offered flexibility of movement in the space. I discovered this flexible furniture called "expand furniture" made in Vancouver that is ridiculously cool and eco-friendly...just an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWi_jFbWYaM

    Looking forward to hearing how it goes with the 5-year plan idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! I will check it out...furniture is definitely one of the things I need to address the most!

      Delete
  4. Oh, forgot to mention...thanks for the 80's flashback. That's my kind of music!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Darryl.

    I love that you took the 'before' picture of your library space. It will be so powerful to have a visual of the changes you are making.

    Here is a website that I came across when reading discussion posts in another TL diploma course. It sounds like there is some great furniture on this site here:
    https://www.demco.com/Category/Furniture/_/N-yv

    Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the changes. I am in a funny position where I don't want to make any big changes to the physical space because I am technically only in my position for another 6 weeks. So I can live vicariously through you and see how the process goes.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the same spot last year, when I covered a maternity leave in the same library I'm in now. I didn't want to make any changes. This year has been so much fun, because I can make it what I want it to be, and I have the support of the staff!

      Delete

LLED 462: Final Summation Response

Well, w e made it, the end of another journey and for me the conclusion of my learning in the UBC Diploma of Teacher-Librarianship program. ...