![]() |
For my final Vision Project, I will be creating a Google Slides presentation, that I can use to share my vision of a LLC with the PAC, parent community, and staff at the school. Throughout the last few months, I have really had to scale back, think things through, and not get too overwhelmed thinking about the changes that need to be made to create a LLC at Kidston Elementary. Over the next two weeks, as I take my learning and create my presentation, I think the biggest challenge will be deciding which aspects I would like to address each year, over the next 5 years. While I know nothing will be set in stone, and no doubt things will not go exactly as planned, I would like to have a clear vision to share.
![]() |
| A first look at the slide show!
In terms of the audience, I have already made contact with our admin and the PAC, and I will be doing a presentation at either the January or February PAC meeting. The goal for this meeting is to get the parents excited about change, and hopefully on board to help with funding over the next 5 years. I will have to work around their current plans, as they are working hard on an outdoor classroom, and garden area. My first plan, is to see if they will match the profits made at our next book fair in February. This way, we can start putting some funds away for the first phase of the transition.
I will also be sharing this vision with the staff, at our staff meeting in February. While they are already and excited and on board, the most important thing I can do is make sure they understand the timeline. There are those colleagues that are already asking "When do we get started?!"...and I use the exclamation mark because they want it to happen yesterday! I have to make them just as aware of the fact that this will not happen overnight. Having a presentation that clearly outlines this will help for sure. I also want to give some justification for the funding, as some of my teaching colleagues are part of the outdoor classroom planning committee. They need to know that I will be asking for a source of funding, that may have some impact on their spending.
The final audience that I can think of, that may be down the road, would be the district itself. As a part of our district, my understanding is that we are supposed to be making the transition to a LLC in all schools. Possibly advocating for funding from the district level, could help move things along quicker as well. If the expectation is that we're working towards this goal, then hopefully they see the need for the funding to support the changes!
As mentioned previously, the biggest challenges have been the physical space that we are working with, and making sure the vision is realistic and manageable over a 5 year period. Going forward, we will also know if funding will be a hurdle we have to jump as well. But, until the slide show is complete, and the presentation is done, we won't know where we stand in terms of dollars and cents.
In final, while browsing this week, I did come across an article that I hope will help me with my presentation. The article in Canadian School Libraries Journal, so conveniently titled Make the Case for the Library Learning Commons, has links and resources that can be used to support the vision! I plan to take a more detailed look at this resource while I complete my vision project and work towards the final goal of a fully operational LLC.
![]()
Resources
Chyung, J. and Ewing, S. (2018). Make the Case for the Library Learning Commons! – Canadian School Libraries Journal. [online] Journal.canadianschoollibraries.ca. Available at: https://journal.canadianschoollibraries.ca/make-the-case-for-the-library-learning-commons/ [Accessed 19 Nov. 2018].
The Entity Phylum (2017). Last Piece of the Puzzle. [image] Available at: https://www.entityphylum.com/the-final-piece-of-the-puzzle-has-now-dropped/ [Accessed 19 Nov. 2018].
|



It sounds like you have a great vision and plan for your final piece. It's great that you are choosing to make something that will be useful right away for you. Having a visual of what you are hoping to do with the space will be great for the parents and staff to see. I am very envious of your permanency in that role that allows you to think ahead and map out a 5 year plan. That aspect is so great for you but the school as well as, because all good change takes time. I am finding one of the problems with my current school is that there hasn't been a person in the role for longer than what I am guessing is one school year. This makes it tricky to make big changes as you need that scope and sequence. I really look forward to seeing your plan, as I hope to be in a library and implementing the same learning commons change soon.
ReplyDeleteDarryl! Hannah's current school sounds like your library and the changing TLs Kidston has had for the past years! She is right to see how lucky Kidston is to have you in there, with a vision, and the ability to see this plan through! So difficult for schools without a consistent TL. How great that you are presenting to your PAC. I know they are very generous and supportive and will no doubt be helpful on your journey. I have always been meaning (and have feebly attempted) to have a library learning committee consisting of various staff members, students, parents, and administrators to make decisions for the library space as a group. I think all schools need this, but especially those with a high turnover of the TL to ensure that a vision like a LLC transition can still keep its momentum.
ReplyDeleteWell done blog post catching us up on your progress, plans and evolutions of your final vision. A good, realistic plan for presenting, promoting and planning your next steps. Also, very useful to gather and inform your allies and support for the next few years. The PAC and the staff will be your biggest assets in this transition. Also, great timing to finding that library to learning commons document, very serendipitous! Overall, good progress and a informative checkin post.
ReplyDeleteDarryl,
ReplyDeleteI can identify with the desire for a more immediate transformation and the reality of having to take things more slowly. In any institution which serves the needs of many different people change is slow. But with a plan it place it is amazing how small changes really add up over time. The plan is there to guide you. I agree with you about the importance of communicating expectations and goals.